Personalized Tax-Savvy Legal Help

Personalized Tax-Savvy Legal Help

Do You Need A Guardianship?

Naming guardians for minor children and incapacitated adults remains an important aspect of estate planning, as well as elder law. Who will provide them with the medical and financial assistance that they need? Guardianship, ultimately, provides protection for children whose parents have died or for an elderly parent who can no longer take care of himself or herself.

An experienced attorney can provide the direction you need toward making the right decision regarding guardianships. Steven F. Mann, Attorney at Law in Waltham, Massachusetts, has been guiding clients with estate planning and elder law issues for more than 30 years. I am attorney Steven F. Mann, and I will provide you with the one-on-one attention you need as you prepare for the future.

Overseeing Matters Involving Minor Children And Dependent Adults

I can assist you in all aspects of the guardianship issue in situations as varied as creating an estate plan that identifies guardians if a child’s parents die or you have an elderly parent suffering from dementia or Alzheimer’s disease or who may be incapacitated after a stroke. For the former, you want to identify a guardian who is the right fit for your children. Some things to consider are:

  • Shared values with you: Consider finding someone who may have the same cultural values and has a similar parenting style to you.
  • Their financial stability: Do they have the finances to be able to raise your child?
  • Their character: You want to make sure their guardian is emotionally stable and does not have a long criminal record or a history of substance addiction.
  • Their age: Are they healthy and will they live long enough to raise your child to adulthood?

When appointing a guardian for an adult, I will help you through the court hearings work to minimize the likelihood of any disputes that may arise within families. Judges in these scenarios hear testimony from physicians, psychologists and family members. And, perhaps, some of this may be avoided if your loved one already has selected a power of attorney or created a living will or health care directive.

Schedule An Appointment

If you have questions about guardianship matters for your children or in caring for an incapacitated adult, Steven F. Mann, Attorney at Law, in Waltham, Massachusetts, is prepared to help. I have more than 30 years of experience in estate planning and elder law. For a free initial consultation, contact me by filling out this online form or by calling 781-890-8228.